I first heard of matcha back in 2017. I had been taking medication for anxiety my entire adult life and in 2017, I wanted to completely cut myself off. Whenever I would get anxious, I would eat, and eat, and eat, and well, you get the point. I would eat my little heart off and I wouldn’t get full. I quickly started gaining weight and I got desperate in trying to lose weight. I started researching different weight loss methods, alongside going to the gym and trying to control my constant snacking. That is when I came across matcha tea. I started drinking it religiously everyday, several times a day. I would put 1 teaspoon in my water with ice and I would drink it just like that. It gave me so much energy and I quickly started getting more and more toned. I wanted to share with you the benefits of drinking this and why I am obsessed.
What is matcha?
Matcha is finely ground powder of specially grown and processed green tea leaves, traditionally consumed in East Asia. The green tea plants used for matcha are shade-grown for three to four weeks before harvest; the stems and veins are removed during processing. It has a more concentrated green tea taste than regular green tea.
Benefits of drinking matcha
- Matcha is rich in antioxidants which in turn help keep our body young and vibrant. It has a chemical called catechism which is a type of plant compound that is a powerful antioxidant. It helps stabilize harmful free radicals which are compounds that damage cells and are known to cause chronic diseases.
- Promotes a healthy liver. Some studies show that matcha can help protect the liver. It helps decrease your chances of liver disease.
- Excellent brain food. Matcha has several known components that have been shown to help enhance brain function. Because it has a high caffeine amount, it improves brain function, increases reaction times, makes you more alert, and also helps with memory.
- May help prevent cancer. There have been studies that show how matcha can be beneficial to treating cancer. In one particular study, matcha decreased cancer tumor size in rats. It is high in epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) a type of catechin that has been shown to have powerful anti-cancer properties.
- Helps you lose weight. Matcha helps you lose weight by burning fat. It has been known to increase fat burning by 17%.
Click on the pictures to shop my favorite matcha products.